There’s no place like South Africa
South African Tourism hosted its biannual road show around Australia and New Zealand to showcase South Africa as a must see travel destination. The audience comprised of over 1200 travel agents across Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Auckland. The Travel Agents are a key conduit of promoting destinations to the end consumer so a key goal was to increase awareness and exposure and ultimately increase visitor numbers from Australia and New Zealand to South Africa.
South African Tourism needed an event with a difference…one that stood out from all the events in the Travel Industry to ensure the destination was top of mind from its competitors. South African Tourism also wanted a unique way of disseminating information from the 10 South African Operators.
We created a concept that generated excitement from the very first communication piece…’A unique South African flavoured interactive live talk show style event’.
Travel Agents were connected with South African experts and Australian & New Zealand wholesalers. The show created awareness of the plethora of experiences available in South Africa and instilled confidence in selling the destination.
South African partners were given the opportunity to showcase their product through an interactive live talk show style event. Each SA Operator was interviewed by the outspoken and daring MC and Entertainer Verushka Darling, doing away with the traditional PowerPoint style presentations. Verushka had the audience engaged for the entire two hour dinner event.
- Verushka Darlings’ costumes included a South African flag inspired sequined dress and jacket and a leopard print gown.
- The couch style stage set was surrounded by South African native plants and flowers.
- Celebrity guests included George Gregan and Frankie J Holden who have both visited South Africa and are advocates.
- Entertainment included South African born musician Barry Southgate (Australian Idol finalist).
- South African food and wines were also incorporated into the event with guests sampling traditional items such as Biltong.
How we made it happen…
- Striking and colourful landing page was created to promote the road show and generated hype
- Registration portal was created to capture attendees details and facilitate pre-registrations
- A unique MC / host was engaged to host the show. A customised script was produced to ensure all key elements were captured in a fun and engaging way
- Unique stage set along with technical production and event styling
- Complete end to end event management services from planning to onsite and post event follow-ups
Travel agents have commented that this has been one of the best travel industry events they have been to in a long time. The roadshow events have been extremely engaging and insightful and have motivated the agents to want to visit and sell South Africa to their customers. The event was a colourful, exciting and a unique experience…just like the destination of South Africa” Rob Gurr, South African Tourism